How to naturally get rid of mould in your home on hard surfaces, in the bathroom, windows and sills.

How to naturally get rid of mould in your home on hard surfaces, in the bathroom, windows and sills.

How do you naturally get rid of mould in your home on hard surfaces, in the bathroom, windows and sills and even on walls?

We have had a very wet winter in New Zealand. Whether you have been affected by flooding or are experiencing mould in your home or business due to the crazy amount of rain and moisture, removing and treating mould in the right way is essential to prevent a recurrence. 

Mould blooms quickly from inside saturated and moist surfaces and in high humidity, and this mould becomes an immediate health hazard. Treating and killing mould thoroughly is essential to make your environment safe for you and your family.

Try to remove mould as soon as you spot it  and understand it will take elbow grease and repeated treatment to do a good job. Always wear gloves and a mask to protect yourself, especially from spores, when treating mould.

The team in Australia making HealthyClean (SimplyClean) have combined their knowledge on widespread mould treatment with the latest information from their supporting chemist and lab studies conducted by a microbiologist to put together some advice and options for you below.

This should help with the mould issues you may be dealing with in your home or bathroom. 

If you are. like many,  working on living and eco lifestyle using non toxic and chemical free cleaning products in your home will be top of your list.

A) HealthyClean NO mould hydrogen peroxide is a natural and healthy option for very-effectively killing mould.

Follow our 2 Step Process: 

HealthyClean NO mould hydrogen peroxide works to kill mould and is perfectly formulated for this task

Step 1: Spray Simply NO mould liberally on hard surfaces. Rub gently using a scourer or brush depending on the scale of your mould - we suggest using our natural EKOH scrubber. Wipe down the surface using broad strokes to avoid disturbing the mould. Allow the surface to air dry. 

Tip : Take care with your eyes by not spraying directly overhead – spraying from an angle instead. Use our EKOH sponge cloths for a 100% biodegradable cleaning cloth that you can wash and reuse.

DO NOT RINSE THE SURFACE  after application, HealthyClean NO mould will kill existing mould.

Wash the scourer/cloth thoroughly, let air dry and keep separate to reuse on day/ step 2. 

Step 2: Two days later, repeat the process. By this time, any untreated spores will have flourished/ regrown and will be killed with this second application. 

For further prevention, follow up with:

Step 3: One day later, apply a strong solution (50:50) of HealthyClean Lemon Myrtle disinfectant using a spray ( good option is the EKOH Refill Bottles ) or bucket and cloth and leave to air dry. 

If you are using HelathyClean NO mould as part of our regular cleaning routine, you may not need to do step 3. Still, if you have a significant mould issue, we highlty recommend following the process and repeating as needed until you have no regrowth.

B) HealthyClean Concentrated Disinfectant Cleaner will give you a long-lasting and healthy option for killing mould.

Follow our 2 Step Process: 

The Concentrated Lemon Myrtle Disinfectant cleaner works more slowly than hydrogen peroxide but is very effective and continues to kill over time. For other off the shelf  brands of disinfectants, you may need to use a stronger solution than recommended below.

Step 1: Use a 50:50 solution of disinfectant cleaner and apply using a spray (EKOH Clear lass Refill Spray Bottle ideal for the job), or bucket and cloth, then leave to air dry.

DO NOT RINSE THE SURFACE you have just cleaned.

Step 2: Two days later, repeat the process. By this time, any untreated spores will have flourished and be killed with this application, which will continue to prevent regrowth.

Some other Natural and Eco options you can use:  

C) Use Vinegar – 4-Step Process - A cheap but unreliable option

Lab studies have shown vinegar is not readily effective against Mould, so it is unreliable for mould treatment. To kill the Mould, surfaces must be cleaned thoroughly several times when treated with vinegar. If vinegar is your only option, use cleaning vinegar rather than standard food-grade vinegar, which is less acidic, so it does not work like cleaning vinegar.

Step 1: Mix 3 parts cleaning vinegar with 1 part water and vigorously clean the mould; a simple spray of vinegar and wipe will not do the job. Allow drying.

Step 2. When dry, repeat the process.

Step 3: Repeat the above process again.

Step 4: Your final application repeats the above processes.

Note that you will be left with the lingering smell of vinegar in your home for several days after this process.

D) Natural Clove oil.

Clove oil is suitable for removing mould from hard surfaces. However, it is expensive and comes in tiny quantities, so it is unsuitable for mass application. However, if you have plenty on hand and price is not an issue, then this is how you can use clove oil to kill mould: 

  • Mix ¼ teaspoon with 1 litre of water, spray on the mould area and leave for 20 minutes. Wipe away residue and repeat until mould has been removed.

Note that Clove oil is not proven to work scientifically to kill mould, although it seems to in practice :) But it is definitely not proven to prevent mould spores from being released into the atmosphere to settle elsewhere in the home. Also, Clove oil is poisonous, so keep it out of children's reach.


Want to learn more about where and how Healthy Clean is made - visit Simply Clean Australia.


Write a comment

Comments are moderated